I love Kale. I love it steamed, in soup, in salads and just raw. I started eating it because it is a super food, and kept eating it because I really like it!
One of my favorite recipes is derived from this one from Canadian Living. But, as always, I changed it a bit.
Here is my version:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cans 19 oz/540ml of white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups of diced new potato
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cups shredded deveined kale or spinach
In Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat, add onion, garlic, parsley, coriander, cumin and pepper.
Cook, stirring until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add stock, 2 cups water, beans, tomatoes, potato and salt; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are almost tender, about 20 minutes.
Add kale; cook until tender, about 15 minutes (if using spinach, cook for 2 minutes).