In my mind this is the perfect Spring dessert. Filled with the tartness of rhubarb and sweet juice strawberries you cannot go wrong when serving this at your next special function (or for a family dinner). The thing I love most about a crisp is that it is easy to prepare, can be made ahead and pairs perfectly with your favourite vanilla ice cream.
The combination of tart and sweet is perfectly paired in this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp add in the crunch of the topping and you have sensory perfection.
While many of my friends from warmer climates have not had rhubarb but I have read it is available frozen in some stores. It is definitely worth looking for. Can’t find rhubarb? substitute a tart apple (like a Granny Smith) and make a Strawberry Apple Crisp.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. Sweet, tart, delicious!
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb (if frozen defrost first)
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups large flake oats
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Place strawberries and rhubarb in a bowl, pour sugar over and toss to coat.
- Mix flour, brown sugar and oats in a bowl and set aside.
- Place strawberries and rhubarb in a glass dish and top with oat mixture.
- Cut and crumble ½ cup of butter on the top of the flour mixture.
- Melt the rest of the butter and drizzle butter over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until topping is brown.
- Crisp will be juicy but some juice will be absorbed as it sets.
Looking for more rhubarb recipes? Check out these delicious ones Streusel Topped Strawberry Rhubarb Cupcakes, Strawberry Rhubarb Angel Food Cake, Blueberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake , and many more at Life Made Delicious.ca
Disclosure: I am participating in the Life Made Delicious Ambassador program and receive special perks as part of my affiliation.