A warm cinnamon roll is truly one of life’s greatest flavours. There is something so comforting about cinnamon and combined with a soft bun and icing it’s truly heaven. While these cinnamon buns are made in the oven the addition of a cast iron skillet brings a special flavour to the recipe. While the Skillet Cinnamon Rolls Recipe that is perfect for Sunday brunch you won’t be able to take it on your next camping trip unless you have an RV. If that’s what you are looking for, check out our favourite camping recipes. Just talking about homemade cinnamon rolls makes me hungry. Can’t you almost smell them? My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
While homemade cinnamon buns take a bit longer the flavour is absolutely worth the extra time and effort. Note some of the instructions for skillet cinnamon rolls to ensure that they rise and turn out just the way you will want them. Want to modify the flavour? Add some orange peel to the icing or dough to make them skillet orange cinnamon rolls. Double yum!
The combination of the sweet skillet cinnamon roll and the salty bacon make for a divine combination.
Can I Make Cinnamon Rolls in a Skillet?
Yes, you sure can! Cinnamon rolls pack well into a skillet because of their round shape and allow for the rolls to expand without overflowing the skillet.
If you are looking to make cinnamon rolls over a campfire homemade isn’t really an option. Because the dough needs to rise and set in the oven it won’t cook through over a campfire. If you are looking for campfire cinnamon rolls your best bet is packaged ones. However, if you are looking for the best cinnamon roll recipe you’ve ever tasted? This is the recipe for you!
Cast Iron Skillet Cinnamon Rolls
Step one: Gather together your ingredients
Step two: All the yeast and milk to work together.
Step three: Mix together eggs, sugar, butter and salt.
Step four: Add flour to a mixing bowl and pour milk mixture over it. Mix until well combined, then let rest for 1 hour.
Step five: In a separate bowl add filling ingredients and mix together.
Step six: Roll out dough into a large rectangle and evenly sprinkle the filling mixture.
Step seven: Roll along the long edge and cut into 7 rolls.
Step eight: Place in an oiled Cast Iron Skillet, let rise 30 minutes
Step nine: Bake for 20 minutes
Step ten: While baking mix frosting.
Step eleven: Once baked allow to cool and top with frosting and chopped bacon.
Cast Iron Skillet Cinnamon Rolls
A delicious recipe for cinnamon rolls that can be made in a skillet. While they take a bit longer than pre-made cinnamon roll dough the flavour and ingredients are truly worth the extra time.
- 1 cup milk 105 degrees
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 4 ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 package yeast
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 5 strips bacon crumbled finely
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 strips bacon chopped
1. In a mixing bowl, stir yeast into milk, and let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Mix in eggs, sugar, butter, and salt,
3. Add flour to a large mixing bowl and pour milk mixture over it.
4. Mix until well combined, then let rise for about an hour.
5. In a separate bowl add filling ingredients and mix until combined.
6. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle, roughly 10” x 20”, and evenly sprinkle filling mix over the top.
7. Roll along the long edge, and cut into 7 rolls. Place the cut rolls in an oiled cast iron pan, let rise for another 30 minutes.
8. In a 350 degree oven, bake the rolls for 20 minutes.
9. While baking, mix the frosting ingredients together in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
10. Top each roll with a scoop of frosting, finished with coarsely chopped bacon.
While the recipe calls for bacon to top the cinnamon rolls you are welcome to add other ideas, like orange, chocolate, lemon, vanilla bean etc.
We can’t wait to hear what you think of our Skillet Cinnamon Rolls – let us know in the comments below.
Disclosure: This post contains an Amazon affiliate link. I may earn income if you click on it.