My earliest memories of my grandmother was her baking in the kitchen. I would sit at her kitchen table and watch her intently as she moved methodically from one cupboard, bowl and ingredient to the next. She never wore an apron, choosing instead to wear a housedress and pink fuzzy slippers. She made the best pumpkin and apple pies, delicious tarts, Christmas shortbread and my childhood favourite, peanut butter squares (the ones with the multicoloured marshmallows).
When I was young I watched, but as I grew older I was allowed to measure, pour, stir and bake. I learned about the importance of order in cooking and the chemistry of certain ingredients. I loved every minute.
While I still make some of those recipes, I have modified them and changed them to add more variety and greater appeal. This recipe is one of those modifications, Lime Shortbread Cookies with Cream Cheese Glaze. A simple base, with some delicious additions.
- 1 cup Gay Lea Butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp finely shredded lime peel
- ¼ cup lime juice (1 large lime juiced)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2¼ all purpose flour
- ½ cup finely ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a stand mixer beat butter on medium until its beginning to fluff
- Beat in sugar, lime peel, lime juice and vanilla until combined (scraping down sides often)
- Add flour cup by cup until the mixer can no longer stir
- Add remaining flour to bowl and mix with a large wooden spoon
- Add ground almonds and mix until combined
- Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper and roll dough until flat
- Cut with cookie cutters OR Roll doll into a long round cylinder and slice into ½ inch thick rounds
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet (ungreased)
- Bake 7-8 minutes until edges begin to brown
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool
- Spread icing/glaze after cooled
- 1 pkg light cream cheese (250 g)
- 1.5 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Juice of two limes
- Grated lime peel (optional)
- Beat cream cheese in a stand mixer until whipped
- Add icing sugar ½ cup at at time and mix thoroughly
- Add vanilla and juice of 1-2 limes until desired thickness/consistency
- Add lime peel to the icing and/or garnish cookies with extra peel
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Blogger Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.