Tilapia is a fish I always keep in the freezer. It has great flavour is a big hit with my family and is so versatile. Top it anyway you like it or just bake and squeeze some fresh lemon on it. Tonight I wanted to use up a beautiful early tomato I got from a local farmer so created this dish to showcase the tilapia and the tomato. You could definitely add olives or capers to it if you prefer a Mediterranean flavour.
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 1 tbsp garlic salt or garlic plus
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley and lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Spray glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange tilapia fillets in the bottom of the dish
- Sprinkle fillets with salt and pepper.
- Evenly spread basil and garlic over fillets.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over fillets, then lay tomato slices on fish and drizzle remaining tbsp olive oil over top.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and lemon zest over the top of the dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cook on Broil for 5 mins until tomatoes are cooked.
- Serve garnished with parsley and fresh lemon juice.
The great part of this recipe is that you can easily modify it for less or more people. With only a few ingredients it comes together easily and with the fresh tomatoes and basil smells delicious before it even hits the oven.
Slice the tomatoes as thin or thick as you prefer to either make a chunky topping or a thin layer of tomatoes. I used a large beefsteak tomato to give lots of tomato flavour but the amount of tomato can be modified to suit your taste.
The final product is a delicious dish filled with fresh flavours easy enough for a weeknight dinner and beautiful enough for company.