Citrus is one of my favourite flavours to add in my cooking. Whether it is a slice of lemon in my water to fresh lime juice squeezed in chicken soup, citrus was my go-to ingredient to ‘lighten up’ a favourite meal for my family. Lately I’ve been craving Chinese food and especially chicken teriyaki. I love the sweet and tangy flavours but wanted to create a version at home with less sugar, and less additives than bottled teriyaki sauce. The result was a combination of flavours to make a tangy teriyaki your family will surely love.
Citrus Teriyaki Chicken
6 chicken breasts trimmed
3 tbsp sodium reduced soya sauce
Juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp Hoisin sauce
3 tbsp Ketchup
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp orange zest
Juice of half an orange or 1/4 cup orange juice
*for sweeter teriyaki add 2 tbsp brown sugar
Preheat oven to 375F
Wash and trim chicken breasts and lay them in a greased pan (or line pan with foil).
In a small bowl combine soya sauce, lime juice, Hoisin sauce, ketchup, ginger, orange zest and orange juice (add brown sugar if desired). Whisk together until fully combined. Pour over chicken and bake for 35 minutes. Take chicken out and turn it over returning to the oven for another 10 minutes. Turn chicken over and place on broil for 5-10 minutes to brown the top. Serve with steamed side vegetables for a healthy and delicious meal.
One of my favourite things about chicken is it’s a naturally healthy choice high in protein, low in fat and can be adapted for a variety of special diets and lifestyle choices. Chicken is versatile and packed with the nutrients your body needs. No matter what type of recipe you are looking for there are lots of options in the healthy choices section of Chicken.ca. The area that I have been focusing on is a higher protein diet to increase my energy and allow for weight loss. I can’t wait to try the Spicy Mozzarella & Chicken Burgers!
- 6 chicken breasts trimmed
- 3 tbsp sodium reduced soya sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- Juice of half an orange or ¼ cup orange juice
- *for sweeter teriyaki add 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Wash and trim chicken breasts and lay them in a greased pan (or line pan with foil).
- In a small bowl combine soya sauce, lime juice, Hoisin sauce, ketchup, ginger, orange zest and orange juice (add brown sugar if desired).
- Whisk together until fully combined.
- Pour over chicken and bake for 35 minutes.
- Take chicken out and turn it over returning to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and place on broil for 5-10 minutes to brown the top.
- Serve with steamed side vegetables for a healthy and delicious meal.
Did you know that when shopping for chicken you have more than 8 different types of chicken based on how they are raised? From Free Range to Grain Free and everything in between it can sometimes be hard to know what is best for your family. Check out Chicken.ca for helpful tips and information so that choosing chicken is easy. Browse around for more great recipes and meet some of Canada’s Chicken Farmers.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.