A moist, rich bread sliced with a cup of afternoon tea is the perfect Winter treat. In the summer our family is obsessed with this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread but in the winter we are drawn to richer breads like our Vanilla Cranberry Loaf and this remarkable Chocolate Loaf with Cream Cheese Glaze.
Chocolate Loaf with Cream Cheese Glaze
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
Preheat oven to 350F
In a large bowl whisk together sour cream, oil, eggs and vanilla. Set aside.
In another bowl mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, baking soda and chocolate chips.
Add dry mixture to wet mixture until combined.
Pour into a parchment sheet lined loaf pan.
Bake for 60-65 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
*Modified from Food Network
- 1½ cups sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl whisk together sour cream, oil, eggs and vanilla. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, baking soda and chocolate chips.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture until combined.
- Pour into a parchment sheet lined loaf pan.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
For the cream cheese glaze you can make this Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing or a simple cream cheese glaze recipe. Then, add some red food colour to your icing to make a vibrant pink – perfect for Valentine’s Day
- ½ pkg (4 oz) Cream Cheese, softened
- ⅛ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 cups icing sugar (depending on desired textured)
- In a stand mixer cream together cream cheese, butter, and lemon juice until all ingredients are combined.
- Add 1 cup of sugar and blend.
- Continue to add each cup of icing sugar mixing to ensure fully blended.
Whether you are marking this to have as a snack or serving it as dessert you are sure to love this moist, delicious chocolate loaf. Change the fat content in the sour cream to modify the number of calories.
Looking for more delicious chocolate recipes? Check out these sinfully delicious recipes from some fantastic bloggers:
Check out our Valentine’s page for recipes, crafts and gift ideas.