This quiche is like a BLT only better! The combination of bacon and tomato with kale gives the quiche robust flavour and the added nutrition that kale brings. Easy to make, full of flavour and great for the freezer. Make a bunch ahead and you have pre-made meals you’ll family will love.
One of my favourite parts of this quiche is the beautiful cherry tomatoes from our family garden. So ripe, fresh and sweet – they go perfectly with the salty bacon. In this recipe I sauté the kale in the bacon fat, but if you are using leftover bacon from a previous day or recipe then you can sauté the kale in butter.
- 2-3 leaves of kale, deveined, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 5-6 slices of bacon
- 6 cherry tomatoes thinly slices
- 1 cup Extra Old Cheddar
- 1 garlic clove, minced.
- 2 freezer pie crusts
- 4 large eggs
- 1.5 cups – 2% milk
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350C
- In a skillet or frying pan cook bacon until crispy on the edges, remove from pan, cool slightly and pat dry with paper towel, set aside.
- In pan with bacon fat place garlic clove and kale and saute until kale is wilted, set aside.
- Chop bacon and place in the bottom of pie crusts.
- Top bacon with kale and garlic mixture, sprinkle with cheese.
- In a small bowl beat eggs and milk, add salt and pepper and pour mixture over the top of the kale and bacon.
- Arrange tomato slices on top of the mixture.
- Place pie shells on baking sheets and bake in the oven for 25 minutes turning once halfway through.
- Quiche is done when the edges of the shell are brown and the egg mixture is firm to the touch.
- Serve with salad for the perfect meal.
For a variation, swap out bacon for prosciutto and/or kale for spinach. And, if you love making pastry, definitely make your own crust to add a more personal touch.
Are you a bacon lover? Check out these fabulous bacon recipes: