As the temperature drops I love to feed my family easy, nutritious and heart warming meals. And, as the mom of 3.5 year old twin boys who are on strike from eating vegetables I make everything with as many vegetables I can fit in.
This Curried Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew was a quick creation this week for dinner. It is full of flavour, rich in nutrients and a meal you can make in big batches to freeze for later.
- 3 large chicken breasts cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tbsp Club House garlic plus (or 1 tsp minced fresh garlic + ½ tsp black pepper)
- 1 large leek thinly sliced (can use a large onion)
- 2 cups sliced celery
- ¼ cup white wine
- 4 cups cubed sweet potato
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 cups basmati or brown rice cooked
- 2 cups chopped kale, or swiss chard, or spinach
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with garlic plus and curry powder and sear until golden brown and cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook rice in a rice cooker or pot until just slightly under-cooked
- Add leek, celery and white wine and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, stock, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, kale and cook another 5 minutes (until kale is tender). Add rice just before serving.
As a kid I remember many cold winter nights eating homemade stew. It was rich, hearty and full of brown gravy. While this stew is not a ‘traditional’ stew with beef and potatoes it is packed with flavours, the best of ingredients and loaded with nutrients. Plus, it is perfect to freeze, reheat and serve again. My boys loved it, and my husband had three bowls!
Looking for more great stew recipes? Check out these ones on LifeMadeDelicious.ca Southwest Pork & Vegetable Stew, Beef Stew, Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Stew. Looking forward to a few months of hearty, warm and nutritious cooking.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Life Made Delicious Ambassador program and receive special perks as part of my affiliation.
What is your family’s favourite winter comfort food?