Nothing says Fall to my like apples (and pumpkins). I love baking with apples, going apple picking, visiting Farmer’s Market’s and savouring the rich flavours of Fall.
One of my favourite dishes to make is a fruit crisp. I love the versatility of mixing in Fall fruits, baking with butter, oats and brown sugar – topped with ice cream it is really the perfect, heartwarming dessert. While many people prefer chocolate desserts, I would choose fruit crisp every time.
- 3 ripe peaches (skins removed and sliced)
- 6-8 apples (use a dense and tart variety for best flavour)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup of butter
- 2 cups of large oats
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Cut fruit and place at the bottom of a large baking dish
- Sprinkle fruit with lemon juice and cinnamon
- Combine brown sugar, oats and flour in a bowl, pour over fruit
- Cut and crumble ½ cup of butter on top of the flour mixture
- Melt the remaining butter in microwave and drizzle over the top
- Bake for 35 minutes of until topping is brown and fruit is soft
- Serve warm with ice cream
What is your favourite type of crisp?