Apple and Peach Crisp is a Fall favourite at our house. A delicious treat that just seems to warm the soul. Head to your local farmer’s market and pick up a basket of apples, a basket of peaches and head home to make a family favourite. The great part of this dessert is you can change up the fruit to make your combination or add a handful of cranberries for a pop of colour.
Nothing says Fall to my like apples (and pumpkins). I love baking with apples, going apple picking, visiting Farmer’s Market’s and savouring the rich flavours of Fall.
One of my favourite dishes to make is a fruit crisp. I love the versatility of mixing in Fall fruits, baking with butter, oats and brown sugar – topped with ice cream it is really the perfect, heartwarming dessert. While many people prefer chocolate desserts, I would choose fruit crisp every time.
- 3 ripe peaches (skins removed and sliced)
- 6-8 apples (use a dense and tart variety for best flavour)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup of butter
- 2 cups of large oats
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Cut fruit and place at the bottom of a large baking dish
- Sprinkle fruit with lemon juice and cinnamon
- Combine brown sugar, oats and flour in a bowl, pour over fruit
- Cut and crumble ½ cup of butter on top of the flour mixture
- Melt the remaining butter in microwave and drizzle over the top
- Bake for 35 minutes of until topping is brown and fruit is soft
- Serve warm with ice cream
You will notice this crisp has butter cut up on top rather than all of it being in the oat mixture. This adds to the crispiness of the crust and it also spreads out the butter fairly evenly. You might find that there are dry patches on the top you can add a bit of lemon juice in those areas if you’d like or see if the juice from the crisp rises to the top. The end result with this Apple and Peach Crisp is fruit crisp perfection!